Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Thing 22: EBooks.

I often refer people to our EBooks collection, and I've even taught a few classes for patrons on how to search for and access EBooks. No, I don't think that a digital book will never replace the experience of handling a paper copy of a book! However, I do think that the searchability of the text really does help for certain types of materials, such as reference and legal books. And the fast time to market (paper books take forever to move from the author through various publishing phases) means that EBooks will often contain the most current information available. I often encourage patrons who are looking for technology-related titles to use the Safari Tech EBooks collection for that reason. I do appreciate the redesigned search interface for SJPL's EBooks collection; it's much easier to find titles and get to content now.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home